Saturday, May 16, 2015

Polyester Quilt

Aunty's Polyester Quilt
My aunty has lovingly stored my Babachan's sewing projects.  Recently aunty gave me some polyester quilt tops Babachan had constructed.  I backed and tied one of the tops for aunty and delivered it to her this week.

I chose a bright warm Minky Cuddle fabric at Fabric Depot to back the polyester quilt top.  It was a bit of a challenge to work with the pieced polyester top which does not lay flat and the slippery minky.  So I pinned all around, with a pin every couple of inches.
Pinning 
Pinned
I hand basted before sewing the top and back together with the sewing machine.
Hand basting
Hand basted
All Sewn Together
Then the top and back were tied together with embroidery floss at the centers of each of the pinwheel blocks.
Pinned for tying 
Top before tying
Back after tying
The quilt was laundered and was then ready to use.  The colorful quilt and I made the trip back across the ocean to Hawaii and to the north shore of Oahu to aunty.  
Aunty's Polyester Quilt, Ready to be Delivered

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quilt! You did a fantastic job finishing it. I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet story.
    You did a great job finishing the quilt. You aunty will be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog through Sherri Lynn Wood. I loved this post. I think I met you at Stitch Modern earlier this year. Now I have a new blog to read !

    ReplyDelete