Friday, June 20, 2014

Columbia FiberArts Guild "Fiber Inspirations" Exhibit Submission and Strawberries

The Columbia FiberArts Guild is having a juried Art exhibit at the ArtReach Gallery in Portland, Oregon this August.  The exhibit theme is "Fiber Inspirations".  Submissions were due earlier this month.  I decided to make something new using my fabric scrap twine bowl as a starting point.  The vessel developed and grew ... and then it was not done when it was time to submit entries for jurying, so I did not submit it, and instead submitted a quilt.  The fiber inspirations vessel continues to evolve; my notion is to weave in fabric or paper strips that describe things that inspire my fiber art. 
At the core of the vessel is my original fabric scrap twine bowl.
The first layer - just fabric scrap twine.  After this I added craft wire in various gauges and colors to provide structure and whimsy.
"Forest Walk" is the quilt that I submitted for the Fiber Inspirations exhibit.  The concept for this quilt, inspired by walks in the forest along the Metolius River with our dogs, was developed in workshops I took at the Stitchin' Post in Sisters, Oregon with Jean Wells and Rosalie Dace.  I also incorporated curve techniques learned from Hilde Morin and silk organza tubes from Ann Williamson.
35"W x 24"H
Constructed from cotton, linen, silk and hand stamped and painted fabric.  Free pieced by machine and hand quilted.
Oregon Strawberries - Sweet and Delicious! 
Hood and Albion strawberries frozen on a cookie sheet.  Ready to bag and freeze until we make them into jam.
Fresh and Juicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment